Atlético Madrid will try to anticipate Çağlar Söyüncü deal in January, the plan is clear. Verbal agreement on free transfer for June is almost done, as reported - but Atlético want to discuss with Leicester. ⚪️ #Atleti— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) January 2, 2023
Negotiations will take place between clubs, up to #LCFC. pic.twitter.com/IFeOwYcm5v
Atlético are trying to repeat the trick used to sign Reinildo Mandava from Lille last year. This time, having already practically agreed personal terms with Turkey international Söyüncü, Atleti will hope Leicester are amenable to accepting a few million euros in compensation for the 26-year-old defender so that he can join the Rojiblancos while the winter window is open.
Söyüncü has played only one Premier League game this season for mid-table Leicester, so it stands to reason he will push for an immediate move to Spain — especially given Atlético’s game of musical chairs at the heart of defense.
Diego Simeone rolled out a back three of José Giménez, Mario Hermoso, and Stefan Savić in the 2-0 win over Elche last week, but Hermoso got himself sent off early in the second half, Giménez is still facing a lengthy suspension for his actions at the FIFA World Cup, and 31-year-old Savić has already missed game time through injury this season.
If Atlético can find a taker this month for Hermoso or for sparingly-used Felipe Monteiro, that should open up a spot for the left-footed Söyüncü. But that might be easier said than done.
Mundo Deportivo’s Javi Gómara on Tuesday reported that Hermoso’s salary is putting off suitors such as Espanyol and Real Sociedad, while Atlético’s initial hopes of including Felipe in the deal that sent Matheus Cunha to Wolves faded last month. Besiktas and a Brazilian club are said to be interested in the 34-year-old, but Gómara says nothing has materialized yet.