clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

ABC: Griezmann decides to stay at Atlético

New, comments

Atleti’s talisman is said to have told a close circle of friends that he wants to continue in the capital.

Olympique de Marseille v Club Atletico de Madrid - UEFA Europa League Final Photo by Maja Hitij/Getty Images

One of Spain’s largest newspapers is reporting Monday morning that Antoine Griezmann has made a decision on his future — and it’s good news for Atlético Madrid supporters.

According to a report in ABC, the French striker has revealed to his inner circle that he will this summer turn down the opportunity to play for Barcelona and stay at Atlético. The player has not made this decision public yet, but as he told the media last week, he will do so before the World Cup.

Griezmann will become one of Europe’s best-paid players with a new and improved contract — one that will see him net upward of €20 million per year. The report says that the 27-year-old is keen to continue where he, his wife and his daughter are all very happy. The Europa League conquest also contributed to a change of heart, and he likes being at the forefront of Diego Simeone’s project. ABC’s report states that Griezmann feels a close connection with Simeone and believes he has more to learn from him.

Reportedly, Griezmann will sign until 2022, and the fresh contract will come with an increased release clause to avoid the problems Atlético have experienced recently. Of course, ABC do say that there is a slight chance for another change of heart as nothing has been made public yet and nothing has been signed. That said, they seem confident he will tell Barcelona “no” and continue to wear rojiblanco next season in what is obviously a monstrous boost to Simeone and co.