clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

The Weekly Rojiblanco: Rumors galore and U19 history

The weekly wrap-up returns to gather together the latest news from Atléticoland.

Olympique de Marseille v Club Atletico de Madrid - UEFA Europa League Final Photo by Maja Hitij/Getty Images

First: if you missed it...

  • Thomas Lemar and his team have agreed, in principle and barring the results of a physical, to join Atlético Madrid this summer in exchange for €60 million ($69.6m). It appears Lemar has signed a contract to 2023, and It remains unclear how long it will take the young winger to learn from Antoine Griezmann’s repertoire of Fortnite dances.

Lemar will add much to Diego Simeone’s attack. There are a wealth of possibilities for where he plays and in what formation. In the meantime, we can watch him, Griezmann and Lucas Hernández at the World Cup for France.

Speaking of Grizi and Lucas, they renewed their contracts to 2023 and 2024, respectively.

  • Valencia are said to be close to signing Kévin Gameiro for around €15 million. The Frenchman has spent two full seasons in the capital, netting 26 goals in 79 club appearances after a €32 million move from Sevilla. Gameiro would the second striker to leave Atlético this summer following Fernando Torres.

Additionally, Atlético may be shopping defenders Stefan Savić and Šime Vrsaljko, with Chelsea interested in the former and about 80 percent of Serie A interested in the latter.

Juanfran renews to 2019

Right back Juanfran has signed a one-year contract to continue rocking red and white for the 2018/19 season. The 33-year-old has completed seven full seasons with Atlético since his move from Osasuna. Despite a physical decline over the past two seasons, the Valencian is regarded as a club legend, with 325(!) appearances and six trophies to his name. It’s unlikely he enters 2018/19 as the starting right back, but he will remain an important presence in the dressing room.

Gabi turns down Middle East move

Marca reported on Friday that Gabi has rejected Qatari side Al-Sadd’s advances and will remain in Madrid. The story claims Al-Sadd coach Xavi Hernández asked Atlético’s captain to make the switch, but the 34-year-old — for the moment — wants to stay and help Atleti challenge at the top level this season.

It’s possible Gabi makes that sort of move in the future. However, there’s no chance he leaves with los colchoneros without one last shot at the Champions League.

Atlético linked with Héctor Moreno

A report from Mexico picked up around Spain says Atlético have inquired about Mexican center back Héctor Moreno’s situation at Real Sociedad. Moreno has stood out in Mexico’s first two matches at the World Cup and allegedly, he has just a €5 million release clause. The 30-year-old only joined the txuri-urdin in January, but Atleti are considering their options in the event Savić is sold.

Gelson Martins’ agent in Madrid

Mundo Deportivo, citing a story from Portugal, say that unattached winger Gelson Martins is of interest to Atlético, and the player’s agent has spoken with club representatives about a possible contract. Gelson rescinded his contract with Sporting Clube de Portugal following a training ground assault and is available for free. Atleti got a good look at the 23-year-old in their Europa League quarterfinal against Sporting this past season — but with Lemar signed, Vitolo on board and Correa close to a renewal, Gelson may end up elsewhere.

Atlético Juvenil A secure treble

Atlético’s U19 side made history on Sunday afternoon as they claimed a first-ever treble with a 3-1 win over Real Madrid in the Copa del Rey Juvenil final. Manolo Cano’s chicos conquered the league and the Copa de Campeones last month, but added the cup with a comeback win over their hated rivals. Óscar Clemente, Giovanni Navarro and Andy Escudero scored the goals for a side that saw several of its players called up to the senior side in 2017/18, including Giovanni, winger Juan Agüero and goalkeeper Alex Dos Santos.