Fernando Torres announced Monday that he will leave Atlético Madrid at season’s end, per multiple news outlets. He says he does not know where he will go, but he wants to make sure his last month and a half will be special with the fans at the club of his life.
”I want to take the chance to announce that this is my last season at the club and given the circumstances, maybe it is for the best, and I feel obliged to announce it to the fans,“ Torres announced. “They have given me so much love and affection and that in some way I needed to say it. We always have an important match coming up but we have a month and a little but left together and I ask them to join me and to be with me.
“We have a few games left at home and between everyone, we can make it tolerable. The nice thing is that is has a beginning and an end. For this last run, we have a little over a month and we will enjoy it and focus on the importance of the fans being with the team.
Torres said that he has “not decided on the team or competition” in relation to his next destination. “Now we will listen to offers, everything changes and I will consider many things. Until now, there was no scenario that I considered and I never listened to anything, but now I don’t want anything to take away the importance of being at Atleti.
“My idea was always to hang my boots up here but it doesn’t always end as you hope and I feel strong, physically and mentally to keep playing,“ the 34-year-old continued. “I don’t know for how long but I feel very good and I will look for another place to play.”
He has played in 393 games for Atletico during two spells with the club and has scored 126 goals.