Lots of little bits and pieces today so I’ll give you the quick hits below.
- Thomas Partey scored a hat-trick for Ghana in their 5-1 win over the Congo in a World Cup qualification match. The win keeps the dream alive for Ghana, though qualification remains a long shot. Hopefully this is a sign of the breakout we hope to see from Thomas this season.
- Diego Costa may or may not have returned to London according to conflicting reports. As we know, the player has been on an extended vacation amidst friction with Chelsea. A return to London could signal a step towards reconciliation after a summer transfer to Atlético Madrid failed to materialize.
- Diego Simeone’s new extension could be tied to Costa transfer say the Mirror. The report alleges that an agreement by club brass to sign Costa in January prompted the manager to sign his new deal to 2020.
- Rumors suggest Barcelona may be in for Antoine Griezmann. The French striker has been previously linked with Manchester United—a move that both player and club seem to want. It is unclear if Griezmann would have any interest in a Barcelona move if United is an option. Atleti for their part would likely prefer to sell the player outside of the league, as the Frenchman’s €100 million buyout clause isn’t very conducive to starting a bidding war.
- Inter Milan keen on José Giménez. The report from AS suggests the Italian club are preparing to make the defender a key target for the winter transfer window. The Uruguayan is out of contract next summer and can negotiate with teams starting in January.
- Talking Point: Of the 13 Atlético Madrid players called up during this international break, who do you think had the best showing? The worst?