clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Atlético present Diego Costa and Vitolo at the Wanda Metropolitano

Diego Simeone can finally call upon the pair as Atlético’s registration ban expires

Atlético Madrid can finally count on Diego Costa and Vitolo as the pair of summer signings was presented to fans and media at the Wanda Metropolitano on Sunday morning. The attackers will be registered on Monday, just in time for a two-game week containing a Copa del Rey clash against Lleida and a Madrid derby against Getafe.

Costa, who left for Chelsea at the end of the 2013-14 campaign, returns to Atlético after a rather long and drawn out affair that saw him fall out with Antonio Conte. He had nothing but good things to say about the London club, however.

“I didn't learn English, which is a bit of a shame,” he said. “I was really happy there, the people were great, the fans, my teammates were all great...they helped me a lot, and made my life much easier. Chelsea is a great club. I have a real fondness for them and all of the memories I have of my time there are good ones.”

Enrique Cerezo said the striker hardly needed a presentation as he was back where he belonged, but he welcomed home the 29-year-old nonetheless.

"The footballer who's here today doesn't need a presentation because Atlético is his home,” Atlético’s president said. “Today, we're giving the best possible welcome to an amazing forward, a wonderful person and a great friend: Diego Costa. My dear friend, welcome to what will always be your home."

Vitolo, who has been in Madrid since a hamstring injury ended his spell with Las Palmas earlier this month, has been raring to go after a disastrous return spell to the Canary Islands club.

“I am proud to be able to be part of a club this big, one of the best in Europe,” the 28-year-old said. “I hope to return to the field with the confidence they have given to me and to make Atlético even bigger.”