clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

The truth about the Hakan Calhanoglu to Atletico Madrid links

Atletico Madrid have been linked with the Turkish attacking midfielder but all is not what it seems

Turkey v Croatia - Group D: UEFA Euro 2016 Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images

On Tuesday afternoon, reports surfaced that linked Atletico Madrid with a move for Bayer Leverkusen attacker Hakan Calhanoglu. AS were the ones reporting it first and then speculation grew to include Tottenham Hotspur in the mix for the player too.

Calhanoglu’s agent told German outlet Express via Sky Sports that "it is true that Tottenham have registered their interest with me."

He also said that there was interest from Atletico Madrid but “nothing concrete” and all of a sudden you get the feeling that Bektas Demirtas, much like Sergio Ramos last year with Manchester United, is in the market for something other than a move away from his current club.

You got it. He is looking for a new contract with his client’s current deal not set to be re-negotiated until 2017 at the earliest - it runs out in the summer of 2019.

Atletico currently have enough attackers and attacking midfielders on their books despite the fact that there is a transfer ban coming down the tracks. They have also spent a significant amount this summer to the tune of €81 million and have only sold players for close to €30 million.