Luciano Vietto has been linked with a move away from the Vicente Calderon following a dismal season in which he only scored three goals, one in La Liga, the Champions League and the Copa del Rey.
The 22-year-old has been linked with a move to Barcelona and there are reports that the Catalan club are in advanced talks with Atletico over either a permanent move or a loan deal that will have the option to be made permanent.
AS report that a source “close to the negotiations” told them that “We like him a lot, he's got a lot of interesting aspects to his game and could be a good alternative for the team”.
They say that the deal is in advanced talks with the Argentine agreeing personal terms with La Liga’s champions. The striker is seen as an alternative to Nolito, who Barcelona lost out on to Manchester City, and Vietto’s willingness to play as the fourth choice strike has helped Barcelona in their pursuit.
Enrique Cerezo has different plans, however, and said “Vietto is going to be here with the team for years to come” on Wednesday. This means little, however, as everyone knows that Diego Simeone is the man who decides on the future of the players in his squad.
The President of the club had something similar to say about Matias Kranevitter before he was loaned out to Sevilla just a few days later. This is their approach and issuing “hands-off” warnings immediately increases prices and stops competitors coming knocking on their door but there does seem to be substance to the rumours, and coupled with Vietto’s poor season last year, you have to believe he is willing to try a different atmosphere at a different club with a different style.