Diego Simeone has been named as the World’s Best Club Coach in 2016 by the International Federation of Football History and Statistics. The Atletico Madrid coach beat out Zinedine Zidane in second place and Claudio Ranieri in third.
The news comes on the back of Miguel Ángel Gil Marín assuring Atletico Madrid fans that the Argentine would remain at the club until the end of next season, which will see his contract expire in the Summer of 2018.
There had been speculation that Simeone might look to leave after the season given the poor run of form Atletico have been on but that was purely speculation.
Simeone even suggested that he could renew his contract at Atletico despite the fact that he has spoken of his desire to take over at Inter Milan.
The top 10 coach’s in club football in 2016 fell in this order according to the IFFHS:
- 1 – Diego Simeone (Club Atletico de Madrid)
- 2 – Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid CF)
- 3 – Claudio Ranieri (FC Leicester)
- 4 – Josep Guardiola (FC Bayern München/FC Manchester City)
- 5 – Unai Emery (FC Sevilla/Paris SG)
- 6 – Luis Enrique (FC Barcelona)
- 7 – Jürgen Klopp (FC Liverpool)
- 8 – Mauricio Pochettino (Tottenham Hotspur FC)
- 9 – Massimiliano Allegri (Juventus Torino FC)
- 10 – Pitso Mosimane (Mamelodi Sundowns)